NIOSH Science Blog

Safer Healthier Workers

Help! What do you want from a mobile Pocket Guide?

Categories: Chemicals, Emergency Response/Public Sector, Exposure, Manufacturing, Personal Protective Equipment, Technology

Since its first printing in 1978, the NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards (NPG) continues to be the Institute’s most popular document. The NPG provides general descriptive, exposure, and protective and emergency recommendations for 677 chemicals commonly found in the work environment. Workers, employers, and occupational health professionals all use the NPG in the course of their work and often in emergency situations.  Fire fighters, for example, use the NPG to prepare themselves for exposures  they might encounter on fire scenes.

The current printed pocket guide is a 424 page, 3 inch by 7 inch, pocket-sized book.  We know many people rely on the printed version, particularly in times of emergency when power may be out or signals down or overextended. The NPG will continue to be available for print. We  also know that there is a growing demand for the NPG in a mobile version that could offer users more convenience and flexibility.

Right now, NIOSH is developing a free mobile web version of the Pocket Guide. We’d like to hear from those of you who use the NPG.  We’d like to know about how you use the guide, what industry you work in, and what part mobile devices play in your work life. This will help us determine how to organize content and what functions will make the mobile NPG the best possible guide for people like you.   Based on our research, we’ve made some assumptions about how you might use a mobile application.

Please help us with the development of this tool by providing your comments — agreeing, disagreeing, or introducing new important ideas related to the assumptions made in the statements below.

1. A free mobile web version of the NIOSH Pocket Guide (NPG) would be a valuable tool for safety officers, industrial hygienists, emergency responders, and health professionals who treat workers.
  2. Most professionals using the mobile NPG will be using iphone, ipad, and Android technologies.
  3. Hands free technology would be an important feature of a mobile NPG.
  4. A small mobile device will not be able to show all the NPG fields at one time. The fields most important to show first are: Name, CAS# , Incompatibilities and Reactivities,   Exposure Symptoms, First Aid.
  5. Not everyone will have the resources to access the NPG mobile version. Other ways NIOSH could make the NPG easier to use might include posting a downloadable EXCEL database. Users could decide which pages and fields to print and eliminate information that wasn’t useful in their specific situation.

We want to ensure that the mobile NPG offers as much functionality as possible.  Please provide your input in the comment section below to help us make this new tool useful for you and others in your field.

Donna Van Bogaert Ph.D.  and Glenn Doyle

Dr. Van Bogaert is the Chief of the Information, Resources, and Dissemination Branch at NIOSH

Mr. Doyle is the NIOSH Web Coordinator

Comments listed below are posted by individuals not associated with CDC, unless otherwise stated. These comments do not represent the official views of CDC, and CDC does not guarantee that any information posted by individuals on this site is correct, and disclaims any liability for any loss or damage resulting from reliance on any such information. Read more about our comment policy ».

1. April 15, 2013 at 11:50 am ET  -   Janeen Lapierre

I would be most likely to use this tool as an app on my iPhone. It would be very helpful to have this information with me as I move from lab to lab and work in the Hazardous Waste areas far removed from my desk. It would be nice to have a print or share function. I would be able to email safety information from my location to the site coordinator in an emergency to help facilitate site wide communications.

2. April 15, 2013 at 12:20 pm ET  -   Tim

Point 1 – I agree. I have already purchased a mobile version of the NPG on my iPhone from ThatsMyStapler, Inc. I should have paid more attention when I purchased it as I assumed it was made availabe from NIOSH.

Point 2 – I agree.

Point 3 – I definitely agree. It would be nice if it was integrated with voice recongition utilities such as Siri on the iPhone.

Point 4 – Agree to some extent. As a practicing Industrial Hygienist, I would also like quick access to PPE information such as respiratory protection recommendations, exposure limites and IDLH values, etc.

Point 5 – Agreed.

3. April 15, 2013 at 12:55 pm ET  -   Stephen Antopol

I would add this to my disaster apps. which include DOT- ERG 2012, NLM- WebWiser, NML- Mobile REMM among others (all for i-phone). I am a laboratory professional who is also involved in disaster preparedness . I have used your “pocket” guide since the first edition. Now, it will truly be a pocket guide. SCA

4. April 15, 2013 at 2:12 pm ET  -   Donald Ellenberger

The current NIOSH Pocket Guide is an invaluable tool in our training programs teaching construction workers in the 40-hr Hazardous Waste Worker course, the 16-hr Confined Space Entry course, and others. For most of our adult students, it’s the first time they’ve experienced success in chemistry, including in High School! The various properties of chemicals that construction workers are exposed to is a priority for us, for use in Android and Apple products. For us, hands-free applications would be interesting, but not the most important. Compatibility with WISER and with DOT are important for us. Making the tool useable by construction workers on the job is key; identifying chemicals, emergency response, personal protection, symptoms, all of these are important. Kudos on your plan to develop an app.

5. April 15, 2013 at 2:15 pm ET  -   William Smith

I agree with all of the statements. As was said previously, adding this tool to those I already maintain in an “app” format would be very helpful. This should be much more user friendly than the pdf version.

6. April 15, 2013 at 2:30 pm ET  -   John Horak

I use the NPG in our training constantly with our apprentices and journeymen. It is amazing how many of them find the information very helpful on the job site. Since many of the members now use the latest technologies, putting an app together is a great idea. I feel that the PEL and REL should be included as well as the IDLH of the chemicals and obviously any PPE requirements if not already part of the app. These are the things that our membership need to know right now before working in a hazardous situation.

7. April 15, 2013 at 2:52 pm ET  -   Byron Hardin

Excellent Idea…

8. April 16, 2013 at 1:37 am ET  -   Keith Peavy

I also agree with all the above. This application must be compatible with wiser and the DOT.This will save a lot of time. By including the reactivity data and response procedures, will go a long way.
    I just downloaded another app from NOAA called the CRW that is like wiser but have not used yet.I also have the other apps as well.
    The Pel Rel and the IDLHs are key and the PPE of course,but then having to get my reactivity data and if necessary the neutralizing chemical. or response data takes even more time.
    I want to be able streamline that process in order to use the right response option, or to rule it out quickly because of other chemicals that may be present, or because of the ones that have been produced and their reactivity data which is site specific.

This is especially true, when sometimes the process’s involved in just some industrial applications we are at, may include chemicals and materials to make over 500+ products. Hands free is also ok and voice activation if needed.

9. April 16, 2013 at 11:01 am ET  -   Kenny Oldfield

Like Don Ellenberger, our training program uses the NPG as a primary reference for the HAZWOPER and Confined Space training. I definitely agree with points 1 & 2. Point 3 is not as important to me. I agree in principle with point 4 except that I see the chemical and physical properties section as a very important feature. I agree with point 5.

The blog does not explicitly refer to the other databases that are included on the NPG CD-ROM. I’d like to see the addition of at least the Recommendations for Chemical Protective Clothing database, particularly if it could be updated.

10. April 16, 2013 at 5:41 pm ET  -   Robert L Martinez

All evaluation comments are valid.Formating of information very important, which enhances usefulness during emergencies and normal assessments. Electronic down load must have copying ease to assist user transferring of information. Thank you allowing feedback comments for user friendly resource.

11. April 16, 2013 at 9:36 pm ET  -   Melvin Mitchell

I pretty much agree with every point and would definitely use a mobile version on both the iphone and ipad. Kind of amazed that NIOSH has not already done this.

12. April 17, 2013 at 8:57 am ET  -   Dwight Bradshaw

An excellent idea. I would definitely add this app to my i-phone.
    I agree with all 5 assumptions except I would need REL, PEL, IDLH, and PPE info over exposure symptoms and first aid.
    Hopefully, the app could be set up so that you could easily scroll through the fields so this would not be a significant issue.

13. April 17, 2013 at 11:17 am ET  -   Gary Von Behren

One of the items that has been missing in the NIOSH Pocket Guide (NPG) is where is the chemical most likely used or found in the various industries and possible links to further information. The NPG is one of the most valuable resources available to augment SDS sheets and aid both employees and management in communicating the hazards associated with chemicals. Since many new chemicals come into the workplace every year it would be nice to list them with as much information that is available at the time. A printing app may also be helpful for Trainers and concerned employers to help provide training as well as a jobsite resource since many employers are “banning” the use of cell phones on jobsites. I would like to you for the opportunity to comment and to thank all of the other commenters for valuable contributions!

14. April 17, 2013 at 2:44 pm ET  -   A. Robert

It would be nice to be able to recieve email updates about this as it progresses.

• AUTHOR COMMENT April 18, 2013 at 3:13 pm ET  -   Donna Van Bogaert and Glenn Doyle

We are excited about all of the comments that have come in so far. Please continue to contribute as good insights and ideas come to you. The NIOSH Mobile Pocket Guide project is a three-year project funded by a National Occupational Research Agenda grant. This fall we plan to have our first draft prototype and will keep you all posted on this blog on progress with the project.

15. April 18, 2013 at 3:51 pm ET  -   Connie K.

Point 4: You may want to consider producing a Mobile version and an IPad version with more field available.

Please update all exposure limits with current information.

Consider making Health Hazards information consistent with new GHS classifications.
    Consider providing links to SDSs for some substances.

16. April 19, 2013 at 6:51 am ET  -   William Harris

Agree with many of the earlier comments. I use Android and have several of the mentioned apps now. I would suggest a means to rapidly access the chemical of concern (alphabetical pick list) and then a number of pick lists to get the info you want first (limits, physical data, PPE, etc.). An option to e-mail or print the information for the chemical would be excellent.

Thank you.

17. April 19, 2013 at 9:44 am ET  -   Jerman Lopez

This may be obvious but I can’t tell you how many developers overlook this very important feature:

Make sure the app is compatible not just with iOS but also with the Android OS.

Also, since phone sizes can be small, rather than try to cram all the information on a single screen maybe breaking it down into sections so that it can be opened using an accordion style tab set up.

Just some ideas I hope the developers can keep in mind.

jerman

18. April 19, 2013 at 2:39 pm ET  -   Matt MacFarlane

1. Absolutely! A mobile version offers access to an incredibly valuable resource without having to remember to bring the book.
    2. Most likely.
    3. Hands free technology would be a nice to have but certainly would not be a must.
    4. Primary information displayed should be based on the name(s), CAS # and other identification methods. From there the user should be able to link to other relevant information such as PPE, IDLH etc easily.
    5. A downloadable excel database would also be an excellent support mechanism. Especially to be able to print “added value” information to keep paper documentation to a minimum.

19. April 21, 2013 at 5:10 pm ET  -   Jack Breazeale

The mobile Pocket Guide is an excellent idea. I agree with the comments already given. It would be an excellent addition to the hard copy.

20. April 21, 2013 at 5:51 pm ET  -   Todd Perkins

Make the web version able to convert units, such as: ATM or mmHg to PSIa or PSIg, mg/m^3 to percent or ppm. This resource is not as useful in the field when the units given have to be converted to something responders actually use, and having to convert units adds an opportunity for miscalculation.

21. April 22, 2013 at 9:45 am ET  -   Steve

1. I am in huge agreenment that a mobile version offers access to an incredibly valuable resource without having to remember to bring the book.
    2. Generally, yes. However, I am a Blackberry user (work issued) and have been recently moved to Blackberry 10. I would like to see a native app for Blackberry; however Android apps can be ported over to Blackberry. Not as good as native, but workable. An app for Iphone, Android, and Blackberry would be excellent. I don’t feel that people should be limited by their technology, so possibly a mobile site would be beneficial to cover the ground of all phones and tablets.
    3. I don’t feel that hands free technology is a must.
    4. Primary information displayed should a quick reference summary, with links to the various sections.
    5. Rather than an excel database, a mobile site would better accomodate this.

I like the option of sharing the information – email, twitter, SMS….

22. April 22, 2013 at 10:56 am ET  -   Madelaine Montilla

1. Agreed, it is also an important educational tool. As such, on the help menus, it would be helpful to include glossaries and links to other resources. If you are looking for app ideas, cross-references to chemical name synonims, DOT plackards, GHS plackards, units of measure conversions and CAS number lookup would be useful.

2.Most professionals using the mobile NPG will be using iphone, ipad, and Android technologies – Agreed, mostly Android in my workplace. Please design the app to provide a “low graphics” or small interface option to display the data.

3.Hands free technology would be an important feature of a mobile NPG – this would be a nice feature, but I would emphasize the other aspects of the interface before this piece. Voice recognition for the various ways in which people pronounce chemical names would be challenging.

4.A small mobile device will not be able to show all the NPG fields at one time. The fields most important to show first are: Name, CAS# , Incompatibilities and Reactivities, Exposure Symptoms, First Aid. Agreed, GHS plackards could be made small and shown along the sides or top of the screens.

5.Not everyone will have the resources to access the NPG mobile version. Other ways NIOSH could make the NPG easier to use might include posting a downloadable EXCEL database. Users could decide which pages and fields to print and eliminate information that wasn’t useful in their specific situation. Agreed

23. April 22, 2013 at 11:17 am ET  -   Jenna Prechtl

Excellent Idea!

I would like to see this be used on iPads or the iPod Touch to be used OFFLINE as we would not have internet access out in the field. We would use this in case of emergencies and leave it in our Safety Van. We would like Fire Hazard information such as flashpoint, proper extinguishing media and measures, etc. and Industrial Hygiene information such as OSHA, NIOSH, ACGIH OELs and proper respirator to use.

24. April 22, 2013 at 12:32 pm ET  -   Jon

1. Yes a free mobile app would be used by not only IHs but Emergency Responders, Lab workers, people dealing with waste, and so on.

2. Yes most would be on Apple products as well as Android based phones as tablets.

3. Hands free, such as voice searh, would be nice but not a deal breaker if it was not included.

4. With the abality to pinch and zoom on my mobile device the forth point does not seem like an issue, however, common information at the top would be helpful.

5. I agree with the 5th point as well.

25. April 22, 2013 at 12:51 pm ET  -   Jim Kidd

As an avid user of electronic devices to assist me in the performance of my job, the ability to access relevant information at the push of a button (outside of the office) is invaluable. As a Health Safety and Environmental manager, immediate access is quite a benefit in resolving challenges in the field and as a tablet (Android) user I can perform any task on site instead of having to return to the office to complete the report with refernece material.
    CAS is primary and should be seachable as well as multiple names for specific chemicals.

Thanks

26. April 22, 2013 at 1:11 pm ET  -   Eric Rodabaugh

It would be great to have quick access to the guide on my Android devices. right now, I have the guide bookmarked in my web browser of my Nexus so that I have access to it on the shop floor and in the field. The issue I have now is that, accessing it via the bookmarks, I spend a lot of time resizing and moving the page around to get the info I want.

Offline would be nicer, for sure, as I don’t always have internet access.

27. April 22, 2013 at 3:03 pm ET  -   Elayna Mellas-Hulett

1. Agree. This would be very helpful when on-route to an emergency. I have the NIH WISER program on my mobile device now and would love to add the NPG too.

2. Agree. We would be using iPhones and iPads.

3. I don’t know if I would use a hands-free ability.

4. Disagree, the most important fields are Name, Synonyms, incompatibilities, Respirator recommendations. As a first responder, I would want to know what respirator to wear. The Chemical & Physical properties are important as well. Flash point will indicate flammability, IP will tell me if I can use a PID to detect, VP will indicate volatility. All these are important when responding to spills.

5. I don’t know if I would use the excel database, but others may find this useful.

28. April 22, 2013 at 3:34 pm ET  -   Paul

Please include Windows 8 in your development as some of us have the Windows phone. Looking forward to such a useful app.

29. April 22, 2013 at 3:57 pm ET  -   kim merritt

It has to have accessibility to the exposure limits.

30. April 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm ET  -   Todd Perkins

One of the issues with the current book, when used “in the field” is the need to convert units. I don’t use mmHg or ATMs, I use PSIa or PSIg. It would be very nice to have the option to change to a different unit, so that there would be no need of converting. Any time you calculate a conversion, you introduce the possibility of a math error, and you spend time. having a drop down box for units saves a respoonder from making the calculation or spending the time.

Other examples include Degrees Fahrenheit to Celcius, ppm to % to mg/ M^3, gram-moles to pound-moles, etc.

You could also (as has been suggested) have a link to an MSD for the chemical.
    Hotlink the terms used to the definitions and/or publications found in Tables 1-5.

31. April 22, 2013 at 4:57 pm ET  -   Rick Hansen

I use the present pocket guide to help my customers decide what respiratory protection is required in any given situation where hazards to the worker are present.
    It is a tremendously useful tool as is, but what I would really like is for the numbers of hazards to be increased. I would not likely use it from a mobile device, since all of the infromaiton that is presently show is useful in making protection decisions. Both the web access version and the downloadable pdf version are versions I would continue to use and to urge my customers to use.

32. April 22, 2013 at 5:49 pm ET  -   Stephen Musson

1. Agree
    2. Agree
    3. disagree. I don’t use hands free for most applications. The current pocket guide is not hands free.
    4. Agree, but I would only list the chemical name and CAS number. I would put all the other fields as buttons that could be selected to get specific information. For example a Physical properties button, respiratory protection button, incompatibilities/reactivities button. Ones that didn’t apply could be ghosted.
    5. This would be terrrific. As an IH, I often try to scrub data to find information. For example, I needed to know the flash point of common solvents for a ventilation calculation. It would have been beneficial to find all listed solvents with a flash point under 100 F by sorting the guide.

33. April 24, 2013 at 6:06 am ET  -   Mobile Web Development

Nice blog. Thanks for sharing this blog with us. We at Webgeometrics a Mobile Application Development Company provides mobile web development services.

34. April 24, 2013 at 11:11 am ET  -   Webpage

I really like it whenever people come together and share opinions. Great blog, continue the good work!

35. April 24, 2013 at 4:21 pm ET  -   Meg

1) AGREE. As an IH I use the NIOSH pocket guide as a quick reference almost daily and recommend it to anyone I work with. In many situations carrying around the book just isnt possible but I am never without my Android smartphone. If I had the pocket guide on my Android I would feel much more prepaired for anything that could come up.

2) Agree.

3) Agree but could be an upgrade/update after initial launch. The mobile web NPG would be very usful even without this functionality.

4) IDLH would also be important.

5) Agree

36. April 24, 2013 at 6:12 pm ET  -   J.P. Purswell

A free mobile web version of the NIOSH Pocket Guide (NPG) would be a valuable tool for safety officers, industrial hygienists, emergency responders, and health professionals who treat workers.

YES, android and iphone/ipad covers all the students I’ve had in the last few years

Hands free technology would be an important feature of a mobile NPG.

Well, many of the entries in the pocket guide would be subject to confusions with other entries pronounced in a similar way. I think the utility of a “hands-free” presumably voice-recognition based software could be limited by that.

These are certainly among the most important. The next thing to add would be the OSHA PEL or TLV in my judgment,

Storage is getting cheaper all the time. I wouldn’t worry too much about designing a new app based upon hardware limitations that are already 2-3 years old.

37. April 25, 2013 at 6:14 am ET  -   GREE

I am working in water and wastewater treatment. My work has many risks with hazardous chemicals. This is very useful for me

Thanks for sharing

38. April 25, 2013 at 8:04 pm ET  -   Richard Lobinske

A mobile app for the Android platform would be useful not only for travel situations, but for facility working areas that do not have computer access.

39. April 26, 2013 at 9:20 am ET  -   Leo DeBobes

I think there’s a lot of value to it being available both in hard copy and as an app. I have the ThatsMyStapler version on my Ipad and Ipod for emergency response, but when I teach college level Haz Mat classes, many of my students opt to leave the hard copy on their desks and instead reach for their hand held devices during exercises.

40. April 29, 2013 at 1:36 pm ET  -   Matthew Brewer

1 – Agree. A free mobile web version of the NIOSH Pocket Guide (NPG) would be an extremely valuable tool, and would likely be used extensively in various fields.
    2- Agree – Almost every oneo f the professionals in this field tend to use either iPhone, iPad, and Android technologies. I use a Blackberry, but this technology has been phasing out over time.
    3 – Unsure. I’m not quite sure how hands-free technology would be implemented.
    4 – Agree. Having these fields (Name, CAS# , Incompatibilities and Reactivities, Exposure Symptoms, First Aid) are the main hits. Another field to include would be TLV / PELs.
    5 – Agree. A downloadable EXCEL database would be quite useful, including being able to decide which pages and fields to print and eliminate information that isn’t useful in the specific situation.

41. May 1, 2013 at 1:49 pm ET  -   Bob

Mobile or hardcopy, NIOSH should make sure to include all MSHA-regulated chemicals/dusts and corresponding MSHA PELs in the next edition of the NIOSH Pocket Guide. That would do much to extend the utility of the Pocket Guide for those with safety/health responsibilities in the mining industry–a major industry fraght with occupational hazards. This is long overdue. Just do it, NIOSH!

42. May 2, 2013 at 5:38 am ET  -   Jignesh Vadher

I would appreciate if the app will come with the option to share and email the details.

Though it would be helpful and handy to have this app on my phone.

43. May 2, 2013 at 8:45 am ET  -   Brooke Martin

1. – Agree, I have been looking for this for a few years. Right now my primary mobile source of similar information is WIZER app.

2. – I agree with this also, currently using iPhone.

3. – Hands free would be helpful, but I wouldn’t consider this critical to the app development.

4. – For me, the suggested fields are important. I also use the chemical and physical properties frequently for both training for hazmat and in emergency response. It would be good to have the primary sections that are currently in the PG as initial “tabs” or in a “list” so you could quickly access the section you are looking for. The web version is my preferred source of data during an incident in where I have access to a computer and internet, or the printed guide.

5. – This is a good idea. I like how the web version has all the abbreviations spelled out so you don’t have to look them up. This may be a good work around for those that do not have mobile app, but have laptop and can store the database on their desktop.

44. May 6, 2013 at 1:28 pm ET  -   Johnny Murdock

Agree with all five points. For #4, PPE requirements should be on initial screen.

45. May 6, 2013 at 2:26 pm ET  -   Craig Colton

I would recommend that the NPG be updated before the time and effort goes into making the app. The respirator selection part does not incorporate teh current NIOSH policy wrt to carcinogenswith an OEL. It also uses APFs from the 2004 NIOSH Selection Guide which are different than OSHA and in some cases higher than the OSHA APFs potentially jepordizing workers. In addition the tables for respriator selection taken from the OSHA standards and included in the NPG are out dated.

46. May 6, 2013 at 2:32 pm ET  -   Michael Menser

I have searched other sources previously, but I would use this as my first choice when available. The greatest challenge I experience is being an investigator of obscure synonyms on mSDSs, so any cross-referencing powers that can be incorporated would be great.

47. May 6, 2013 at 3:12 pm ET  -   Steve

I created the NPG several years ago for iPhone/iPad under my corp : ThatsMyStapler.

It filled a niche as there wasn’t an easy way to utilize the PDF form of the NPG on iPhone. The web version wasn’t usable either by my first clients (my wife and coworkers) as the lab was in the basement where wifi wasn’t (and still isn’t) available.

I welcome a mobile version of the NPG for Android/iPhone/Blackberry from NIOSH – as the owners of the data, it should be up to the organization to keep the data up-to-date and thorough across several devices.

That said, I hope there will an excel version of the data released as this will allow, as others have mentioned, further analysis/filtering/sorting of the data and the ability for other developers like me to create a value-added product where one isn’t yet available.

48. May 6, 2013 at 5:05 pm ET  -   Ted Deecke

Mobile APP for Iphone. I am an emergency responder, and EHS Manager. I would benefit greatly form the mobile product for emergency response, disaster response, and site health and safety audits. The chemical and physical properties section is very important to me, along with TLV/PEL/REL, and IDLH. Hands free is not high on my priority list.

49. May 6, 2013 at 9:01 pm ET  -   Michael Mulqueen

A vast number of technicians within my department would welcome a free NPG app, on either an I-phone or android app. Many already have Wiser and the NPG would provide another reference within easy reach on response. Would like to see the guide search function use spelling, CAS, DOT UN # as an entry point into the data, then sub-catagories presented such as “health effects”, “chemical/physical properties”, “regulatory levels”, etc. broken out for quick research into pertinent fields. Would also like to have the ability to view the chemical page as it would be in NPG and if not asking for too much, save as a PDF for easy printing. Not too excited about the excel spreadsheet, since the updating of information may prove to be an issue.

50. May 7, 2013 at 7:35 am ET  -   Paul Callahan

1. Strongly agree
    2. agree
    3. Disagree – hands-free would not be a priority for me
    4. Somewhat Agree – First aid not a priority for me, obviously important but don’t know how many people use NPG for first aid advice – I would add exposure limits (RELs, PELs, IDLH), maybe some selct physical parameters like BP, FP, IP, VP, SG – I want to know where the chemical is going to be in the environment.
    5. Disagree – not a priority for me – having a mobile ap, plus the hard copy, plus the existing web version, I don’t see a need for an excel spreadsheet or other version

I am a hazmat responder and health & safety officer

51. May 7, 2013 at 9:03 am ET  -   Airman Barron

The only thing I could think is for it to be a fully searchable document by at LEAST Name, Synonym, CAS#.

Also, As a Bioenvironmental Engineer the most information usually required are the primary exposure routes, is it a Carcinogen, Mutagen, or Teratogen. And if it is a Skin or Sensitiser (ie: ACGIH TLV Booklet).

All the previous info should still be included.

52. May 7, 2013 at 4:50 pm ET  -   ronnyg

Great idea!!

53. May 7, 2013 at 11:10 pm ET  -   Jeff Beeler

I think it is a natural progression of this resource. It would be a benefit to my emergency response work and a good thing to show in my training.

Let’s make it happen!

54. May 8, 2013 at 11:54 am ET  -   Robert Shelton

I have used the current incarnation of the NIOSH pocket guide app several times. I have and Android phone and tablet and it works well on both. I assumed that it was from NIOSH but it must not be. If you go to the Google play store it can be found. This is great news for those of us in Haz-Mat and are with a munici[al FD.

55. May 8, 2013 at 1:36 pm ET  -   Richard Blohm

Those of us that are very familiar with the NIOSH book have little difficulty mining useful information from it as is. However I have been wondering for a couple of years now why there are no voice activated command applications for the NIOSH guide.

For the novice user of the book it would probably be very helpful for them to just ask what the chemical and physical properties for a particular product are or it’s IDLH to determine the viability of a victim.

While it may be difficult for a phone application to understand a voice activated chemical name inquiry ( we all have difficulty wiith some pronunciations of chemicals at times) the user could type in the chemical name and then hit a voice activation tab and ask specifically for things like boiling point, vapor pressure, vapor density, IDLH, LEL & UEL etc.

56. May 8, 2013 at 7:49 pm ET  -   KYAM MOHAMMED

This is great. As an OHSA, HAZMAT and Confined Space Instructor this will be perfect as an onsite/on demand access tool for references to chemical safety. I currently have to tag along volumes of NPG, DOT 2012 ERG; TLV & BEi’s and physically look up information for associates and clients. Will appreciate availability of the App for Android devices. Anxiously waiting!!!!

57. May 9, 2013 at 11:32 am ET  -   John

I would definitely use this with my iPhone. I think tech NIOSH Pocket Guide (NPG) would be good. I also work in different labs in our college and there is a lot of construction going on around. Helpful indeed.

John

58. May 10, 2013 at 3:28 am ET  -   Rully

I use Android Phone.NIOSH Pocket Guide (NPG) is a great technology, but I am a teacher if the technology is necessary for me. hopefully this technology has many benefits especially for the workers, employers, and professionals to avoid the Chemical Hazards (NPG). I agree

59. May 13, 2013 at 1:35 pm ET  -   Evelyn S. Partner

I am the Public Sector Consultant for Utah OSHA Consultation and I use the pocket guide mostly as a teaching tool. I encourage all employers to have a copy on hand for quick, easy reference. Most of these employers are not emergency responders, though some are. I have heard from a number of both non-EMS and EMS employers that they would like the pocket guide available on their smart phone so that they could use it away from the office. In this day and age of the smart phone in everyone’s hand, this would be a great resource. All of the things you can do to make it user friendly would be good additions. I would love a version that I could have on my laptop, to help with teaching.

60. May 14, 2013 at 1:51 am ET  -   Jean Lostaunau

A spanish version, please!!! This book is widely used in Latin America, is a great source of information for HazMat management and emergency respose. ¡Gracias!

61. May 14, 2013 at 3:35 am ET  -   RamFire.Rescue

I have worked in Emergency/ Rescue services and also in Safety in Industrial settings I cannot put into words how valuable a app for the pocket guide would be. The information provided is one of the most proactive safety preplanning prevention tools around and when things go wrong the guide is the most important tool to mitigating an event in the safest manor possible. Please do it now implement the guide

62. May 14, 2013 at 3:43 am ET  -   Ron M

Please make it an iPhone app. Preferably able to use without wifi connection if required wiser is a good example. Also provide a full site access on computer. Include confined spaces , gas testing with gas chris sensitivities etc. I use the guide for preventive measures and mitigation Please add medical & testing Include a comment blog site and incorporate social media following.

63. May 14, 2013 at 7:23 pm ET  -   Paul Arena

MSDS Data sheet link (smartphone) app to Facilitate quick identification, with cross references to chemical compounds used in said product.

64. May 15, 2013 at 6:09 am ET  -   Ziggy

I think an app would be great, but a paperback version would be handy too.

in an emergency you would want the best of both.

65. June 19, 2013 at 4:14 am ET  -   wallpapersite

66. June 22, 2013 at 5:14 am ET  -   7alaki

This book is widely used in Latin America, is a great source of information for HazMat management and emergency respose good job

67. December 21, 2013 at 9:40 pm ET  -   yomi

Agree to all 5 points, the easier the information can be accessed, the better people can be helped.

Yomi

68. January 10, 2014 at 11:06 am ET  -   Maktuhin

69. January 22, 2014 at 1:57 am ET  -   san go

I would like to use this tool. san go

70. January 24, 2014 at 9:26 am ET  -   John

We were something like this for EMT training last year.

Phillop

71. February 6, 2014 at 2:46 am ET  -   Jose Manuel Gilperez

First i would like to give thank for writing on such an important and interesting topic. I consider that is really a great app and helpful for all working employee too. Is this app available for android 4.2.2 version anymore?

Thanks
    Jose

72. March 11, 2014 at 11:08 am ET  -   tofast

1. Agree
    2. Agree
    5. This would be terrrific.

73. March 13, 2014 at 6:09 am ET  -   justin

I would be most likely to use this tool as an app on my iPhone. It would be very helpful to have this information with me as I move from lab to lab and work in the Hazardous Waste areas far removed from my desk. It would be nice to have a print or share function. I agree

74. March 27, 2014 at 5:48 am ET  -   Pankaj Kapoor

nice blog keep posting

75. March 31, 2014 at 10:32 am ET  -   Scott

I would use the NPG if it was as simple as the Transport Canada “ERG 2012″ mobile app, with just inputting the CAS# or name and then taking you to the proper page.

76. April 3, 2014 at 4:41 am ET  -   Robin Smith

77. April 8, 2014 at 5:12 am ET  -   Neha Sharma

It is a good pocket guide to easily understand about mobile and mobile technology. We are working for same mobile theme.

78. April 8, 2014 at 1:04 pm ET  -   Latest Mobile Phone Technology

I agree with you that NIOSH Pocket Guide (NPG) would be a valuable tool for the peoples of all professions. Also I like your blog. I always share your blog with my facebook friends.

79. April 21, 2014 at 5:10 am ET  -   Olivier

80. June 2, 2014 at 9:31 pm ET  -   kelvin

I am Iphone user and I am very satisfied from using it! They shall developed NIOSH and focusing it on the Apple platforms!

81. June 13, 2014 at 6:18 am ET  -   Mark Waller

Nice blog, keep up the good work

82. June 13, 2014 at 1:07 pm ET  -   Josh Mikael

83. July 4, 2014 at 2:12 am ET  -   Bennie Jones

Well everyone will want mobile NPG.

84. July 18, 2014 at 10:01 am ET  -   Gajetto

I fully agree with 90% of the people up here! Especially about added a print/share function

Regards
    Gajetto

85. July 29, 2014 at 4:49 pm ET  -   Safe Sheild

I think it is great you guys are making a mobile app for us! I agreed with every point that you posted so great job. Thank you so much for the information you provide us with.

86. August 1, 2014 at 11:36 am ET  -   Agus Bloggers

87. August 3, 2014 at 9:40 am ET  -   Amplificador

Yes it is, As a Bioenvironmental Engineer the most information usually required are the primary exposure routes, is it a Carcinogen, Mutagen, or Teratogen.

88. August 4, 2014 at 8:10 am ET  -   Mahendra Das

The idea is excellent. I consider that is really a great app and helpful for all working employee too.It would be an excellent addition to the hard copy.Thanks a lot.

89. August 7, 2014 at 6:51 am ET  -   Ciara

Things like NPG mobile guide should be created more often. Thanks for reminding all of us about how beneficial this product can be via this blog.

90. September 18, 2014 at 6:29 am ET  -   pretty angel

I agree with all of the statements. I would like to use this tool.

91. September 26, 2014 at 1:11 am ET  -   jaman

I would like to use this application where to find?

92. October 2, 2014 at 5:27 am ET  -   Cara perbaiki android

woow,, IT VERY COOL IDEA ..
    I am working alongside chemical factory every day, then the mobile version of this app will be very useful.