Integrate “Learn the Signs. Act Early.” Materials into Early Intervention Systems
Integrating materials into Child Find (Part C of IDEA) activities to help identify children who need early intervention services, train early intervention staff, and support families with children who are ineligible for early intervention services.
- Provided materials to referral sources and other community partners to help with Child Find efforts.
- Provided materials to families at community developmental screening events.
- Shared materials with families during their initial evaluation for the Part C program. These materials are a useful tool for all families — those who qualify for services and those who don’t — to track their child’s development.
- Shared materials with families who were transitioning out of the program. Amazing Me: It’s Busy Being 3! was especially helpful to show parents what milestones to look for once their child turns 3 years old.
- Materials and information were included in trainings for early intervention staff to improve knowledge about healthy child developmental milestones.
Peggy Kemp Ph.D., Technical Assistance Provider for the Kansas In-service Training System (KITS), University of Kansas Center on Developmental Disabilities