Skip directly to search Skip directly to A to Z list Skip directly to navigation Skip directly to page options Skip directly to site content

A Family’s Perspective – “The Brutality of Sepsis will Haunt Us for the Rest of Our Lives”

Posted on by CDC's Safe Healthcare Blog
Franchot Karl
Franchot Karl

Guest Author: Franchot Karl

Sepsis. Perhaps you’ve heard of it. It’s one of the leading causes of death, particularly in hospitals, but most people have never heard of it. My sister and I had barely heard of it, until we lost our beloved mother because of it two years ago. The brutality of sepsis will haunt us for the rest of our lives.

When our grandmother died of sepsis at 84 years old, back in 1990, I assumed it was an old people’s disease. I thought you get old, go into a hospital or nursing home, get the inevitable hospital infection (sepsis) and die. After all, hospitals and nursing homes are crawling with germs, right?

Well fast forward to now, millions of deaths and many medical negligence cases later, the real truth is coming to light. I debate sepsis is an actual disease. Unlike heart disease, diabetes or cancer, sepsis is usually the result of something else, like a cut or scrape, surgeries or invasive devices. We are all at risk. Sepsis is a dire emergency that can kill the young or the old. It does not discriminate.

In early 2012, mama had a blood clot surgically removed from the femoral artery. She seemed to recover well, but the wound incision leaked nonstop. Soon she complained of extreme weakness, had sporadic fevers and could not urinate. It wasn’t long before she was fighting for her life in a city hospital. After one week of hospitalization, a large, grotesque abscess was found at the surgical site on her left groin. Incision and drainage was done; it was all that was done. At mama’s death on May 9, 2012, her left groin, lower left torso and thigh were eaten away. Her underlying flesh and muscle were exposed. It was a brutal death for such a beautiful person.

With all the touted advances in medicine, sepsis still seems to be shrouded in ignorance and neglect; yes, neglect. If there’s anything that my sister and I have taken from this devastating experience, it’s knowledge. If we knew then what we know now, I wouldn’t be writing this. Always identify someone who can accompany yourself or your loved one to act as an advocate. Ask questions, demand answers. If you don’t get them, seek other opinions. Learn the symptoms of sepsis. Flu-like symptoms, low grade or sporadic fevers, low body temperature, extreme lethargy, inability to urinate. Learn what tests can better indicate sepsis. CBC (complete blood count) with differential. It gives readings of white blood cell counts and red blood cell counts, platelets and hemoglobin. Learn the names of certain germs and terms that are linked to sepsis – VRE (Vancomycin- resistant Enterococcus), E. coli, pseudomonas aeruginosa, klebsiella, MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) and necrotizing fasciitis. Look to great resources, such as the Sepsis Alliance, read their stories of hope and survival, and when the internet becomes overwhelming, turn to a great book by Dr. Harlan R. Weinberg called Dr. Weinberg’s Best Health Resources on the Web. We don’t have to die of sepsis.

Posted on by CDC's Safe Healthcare Blog

121 comments on “A Family’s Perspective – “The Brutality of Sepsis will Haunt Us for the Rest of Our Lives””

Comments listed below are posted by individuals not associated with CDC, unless otherwise stated. These comments do not represent the official views of CDC, and CDC does not guarantee that any information posted by individuals on this site is correct, and disclaims any liability for any loss or damage resulting from reliance on any such information. Read more about our comment policy ».

    My husband at 49 years old had a stroke which caused left side partial paralysis it then ended up causing end stage renal failure and was on hemo dialysis 3 days a week . About 2 months ago he went to the dentist for a root canal, a month later he had come down with blood infection that spread to his heart valve he had fluid around his heart and in his lungs they put a picc line in released him from the hospital to come home before surgery to replace heart valve, he died a week later. He was 54. Is the dentist responsible?! He should have been put on antibiotics 3 days prior to the procedure! The dentist should have known what to do to prevent this! Do I have any recourse?!

    My independent, positive and pretty healthy 83 year old dad went into the hospital in March to have a heart valve replaced, little did I know how this was going to end 7 weeks later. A week and a half after surgery his wound became infected with gangrene and he had some fluid in his lungs. He went under twice to “clean him out” of the dead tissue in his chest wall and 2 bronchoscopies to clear out the fluid. On April 10th he had to have major surgery because the gangrene had ate his tissue and muscle up so bad that they had to cut him open, or should I say filet, and pull his abdominal muscles up and his pec muscles over to cover what was gone and an artery bypass. He was still on antibiotics and when I spoke to his nurse after this surgery she reassured me since he had antibiotics at that time that he shouldn’t get another infection. 2 days later he had VRE/superbug. My dad went from confused to absolutely delirious, you would swore he was a mental patient. Screaming all night, boxing in mid air, pulling his feeding tube out and mumbling all day, he just wasn’t “there”. I didn’t understand why his mental state was like it was and the doctors would keep saying it was ICU delirium, malnutrition and the pain meds. I was told he was “headed in the right direction, lets heal his body first then his mind”. Then they transferred him to an independent extended ICU hospital not affiliated with them where the staff was upfront with me and told me that it wasn’t from ICU delirium or any of what the doctors had been telling me, that the infection had gone into his brain. He was weak and unable to eat because he was aspirating/fluids going to his lungs. The feeding tube couldn’t stay in him but for a few more days and if he couldn’t eat on his own that he would have to be sent back to the hospital for the feeding tube to be surgically put into his stomach and all we would be doing was sustaining his life and he’d go to a nursing home. My dad made it clear to everyone that he never wanted to go to a nursing home so we made the choice to take the feeding tube and send to hospice where he passed 5 days later. While at the ICU hospital he was no longer screaming but was incoherent most of the time, he would mumble something every once in a while that made sense, like he was “there” for just a few seconds and gone again. I NEVER once had anyone tell me his brain was doing what it was due to sepsis until I got his medical records and did my research. My dad went through hell mentally and physically and it breaks my heart because he didn’t deserve to have his ending like he did and it makes me more mad when I read that VRE is usually from the hospital. I can understand why anyone has PTSD from watching someone you love go through what they have with VRE and sepsis, things I saw go through my head every single day and has caused me to be very depressed. I have a lot of regrets because I trusted these doctors and I shouldn’t have.

    My wife died of sepsis this year. This (sepsis) was diagnosed after spending some time in a hospital and send home. When she got here the next day she was very ill we call 911 they took her to another hospital. Where we were told she had sepsis. But it’s more than that I tried to get a lawyer but so far they are turning me down. I am asking you for help in perhaps someone in this forum knows of lawyers that handle this. I’m losing my mind not understanding what really happened to her.

    I am so sorry for all of your losses from this horrible disease, I lost my husband of 33 years last Dec 27th 2018 from Septis, he was diagnosed the April before with acute congestive heart failure at 57 years of age, after seeing heart doctor and prescribed 6 different heart medications he was feeling better and had gone back to work, over the next few months his appetite declined he was losing weight and could barely walk from the car to the house which was like 15 feet away, heart doctor told him to slow his activities and his work load down and continue to Take the heart medications, he had no blockages and was never over weight, was a smoker for 40 years but always strong and picture of health, and then n April he swelled up everywhere on his body within 2 days he look like he put on 30 pounds that is when I took him to the ER, we honestly thought that he may of ate something that he was allergic to and the body swelling was a reaction he was having but no it was not that he had advanced acute heart failure was in the hospital for a little over a week until he was able to come home, over the next few months he did find but just tire a lot quicker then fast forward to Sept his appitite declined and he lost 30 pounds by Oct and could barely walk around and felt sick so back in the hospital in Nov for almost two weeks, once he was home he felt better started eating normal and went back to his job, fast forward to Dec 24 and he told me his calf and foot were swollen, and he was having a hard time breathing , so I drove him to ER and they told us he had cellucellulitis in his leg and that they needed to admit him to get it treated, next day one of the Dr came in and told me he was septic had septic shock and he was dying and proceeded to say that she was surprised he had not passed yet, I was in complete shock and had no idea what she was saying, she spoke to me as if I was already aware, I just broke down in disbelief, then she said as I am bawling and still have not been able to get the questions out that I wanted answers to she tells me his organs were shutting down and that he needed to be put in hospice because there was nothing more they could do for him, he passed 2 days later, honestly I still believe I am in shock and dis belief of the whole heartbreaking gut wrenching situation, and very angry with the Dr s I believe they could of treated him but for some reason they did not, I miss my guy terribly every single day!! I feel for all of us who have lost our loved ones and are angry because of the way Dr do not explain like they should, I wish I would of had an advocate for sure

    Hi All
    We lost our Mum after she had a fall and she had a hip repair.
    Then went into Rehab whilst there she had a UTI infection 2 weeks later she had another.
    With a fever then she did not want to have a shower this day and lashed out with her leg which was caught on the bed and blood now on the bed and floor they patched it up daily
    So after doing her bloods again 2 weeks later e coli in the blood also she had Sepsis. Mum did not want to eat or drink. They found her kidneys were failing reading down to 7
    Mum had turned 93 then on 23rd September 2019 Mum passed my brother and l were with her. 7 weeks after her operation so quick so silently she was taken sepsis not good l tell everyone l see as well.
    Take care

    My sister has aspiration pneumonia and is currently in ICU for 4 weeks now. She also suffered from sepsis but now is cured from sepsis, except she is suffering from aspiration pneumonia. She cannot breathe on her own. Doctors put her on heavy sedation propofol because of setbacks from the trache placed on her neck and a broncoscopy done the same day. She woke up with puffy all over and with fluid in her lungs. They tried to wean her off propofol but she did not wake up. Her eyes rolled and she is not responsive. I’m scared for my sister. Any similar experiences with recovery?

    my mother died of septic shock due to an undetected UTI which spread to her bladder and kidneys. She was suddenly very listless, almost unable to sit up in her wheelchair. I called the paramedics and she was admitted to the hospital and dead in 48 hours. When I was in the emergency room with her, I felt they were triaging her to the bottom row because of her age of 89 years old. I never want to repeat the anguish I felt trying to get the hospital staff to administer to her. Fortunately I demanded she be kept free from pain when the antibiotics weren’t working and her kidneys were failing from the infection. Pain medicine for the dying is so important. She just died in her sleep 6 hours after she told me to stop treatment. very peaceful after being in pain and feeling horribly ill.

    With all of these horror stories of sepsis on this CDC site, many to appear to be caused by hospital neglect, is the CDC paying attention and doing more to educate the medical community? It seems like only financial punishment would wake up the medical industry to try to eradicate sepsis. I am currently sitting in a hospital room with my mother, watching my father who is hooked to life support, as she feverishly tries to convince herself that he will pull through though the doctors have said his kidneys are failing. At 84 years old he was diagnosed with tonsil cancer. Instead of offering palliative care the oncologist and radiologist pushed treatment which my dad felt was a sales pitch so they could buy new cars. I think he was right. 8 weeks after beginning his treatment he’s now on his death bed. He complained about the feeding tube they installed so after weeks of us showing hospital staff the horrible discharge and parts falling off everyone said it was ok. After begging for a test and them finally doing it they replaced the peg tube because of misplacement. Now they can’t answer if the misplacement of the tube and the klebsiella bacteria infecting it caused my father’s aspiration pneumonia which caused his sepsis. Also many times I had to ask the nurses to clean his feeding tube entrance site and it took awhile before they agreed to culture it. But they keep saying it had nothing to do with the feeding tube. They say it was from not being able to cough. And almost blaming us for having him drink his nutritional supplement or anything my mouth when it was their nurses that told us everything had to be nectar thick, which is why we purchased and used food thickener. To make matters worse he was in this hospital 2 weeks prior to this deadly hospital visit with aspiration pneumonia and they sent him home without any antibiotic treatment. I am so confused. So as my poor mother cries over her husband of 65 years contemplating whether or not to pull the plug, we are left without answers. Watching him be medically tortured for the past 3 weeks has been the most horrendous experience of our lives. God bless everyone with similar hospital experiences.

    Wow these stories are all to famaliar my grandma is 90 years old up until about 2 months ago she was very healthy only on blood pressure med ,hyroid ,and prozac due to losing 4 out of 5 kids but she is very independent the sweetest angle on earth always has been a great soul to any and everyone never smoked any no drugs or alcohol and she was going to her doc regularly so she was at my aunt’s house and she told them call 911 and when I got to hospital and saw her not even able to hold herself up I really couldn’t believe my eyes ok so I know they see a 90 yr old and of course they do not understand that’s not my gma my gma can walk dress herself read a book fix herself something to eat and anything else she desires so after the testing the said uti,blood count was not good ,and her heart hmmmm really well uti yes a very very bad thing and they began more test of her heart told us that. She has afib and upper respritory infection she had a really bad cough also so after being there for a week of crap instead of putting fluids and antibiotic in her intervainslly for the 7 days they did more heart test so they found out no stints needed no heart surgery needed just a med to control the beat pattern great so she gets discharged with home health and when they were at our house their reading the discharge papers and says she has acute kidney failure I said what no I read those papers a 1000x and it does not he said acute renal failure is kidney and nobody but nobody said anything about her kidneys then 7 days later she’s rushed back to er and this time sent back home 3 hours later told later that she had a partially colasped lung by a diff home health nurse I’m furious so I rate that it wasn’t funny and then I’m gonna say 3 days after that boom back to er except this time they had yo talks her straight to icu she was in severe septic shock syndrome and phnemonia I’m like omg ok first of all medical history and common sense play a big part here which obviously no one has anymore and it they do not read medical history if they did then there common sense would have kicked in so after all if this she went into rehab for 20 days and sent home guess what her urine smelled so so so bad like so bad I was floored and finally after getting her urine tested yes still had a uti and antibiotics were given again so then her heart doc now has her on lasix for i know 30 or more days well needless to say back to the er we went. With dangerously low pottisaum levels and dehydration so the er doc took her off that one and put her on a better one that controls all the other things lasix take out and well we went to her appt on the 17th and she got really bad lightheaded dizzy felt like passing out and nausea well she hasn’t been able to walk since the first time she went in over 2 m on ago but now she’s passing out can’t sit up or anything I don’t know what to do the doc seem ignorant or they just don’t care because she’s 90 but to me this is my grandma my kids greatgrandma our life or everything and we don’t want her to die especially when all they really had to do was there job if they would have looked at her med history maybe something would have clicked and duh maybe her body is shutting down because of the uti has turned into sepis or wait maybe the cough actually was phnemonia that went to sepis she wouldn’t have been in icu and in severe septic shock I wish somehow something could be done oh yea she has had hypklemia which is from lasix no potassium from them boom see if they would have read her history they may have been able to stop all of this uncessary damage to her body and health prayers go out to all of y’all my heart and prayers

    I just lost my mother 7 months ago from sepsis. She had all of the symptoms, and the infection was Ecoli. Her body became to weak and fragile to fight off the infections and her body was breaking down. It went from a follow-up with her PCP to admission into the hospital, she passed four days after being admitted. One of the worst days of my life. I heard of sepsis, but didn’t know too much about it until she was diagnosed with it. So, I did research on it. Now, I’m fully aware and educated on the infection and I tell others about it.

    August 30. My 60 year old twin brother had been battling bladder cancer that was responding well to the treatments. He was unfortunately a heavy drinker, which was the main problem. He went into the hospital very weak after vomiting and passing blood and had not eaten for several days. He was too weak to stand on his own but he was lucid and talking. As soon as he got into the ER they hit him with the “alcohol withdrawal protocol” which was a dose of Ativan. His blood draw showed a severe case of malnutrition and hemoglobin so low that he was borderline transfusion. Then they did a CT scan and the results were fatty liver. Then they did an endoscopy which showed that his stomach lining was eroded from alcohol and that was causing the bleeding. All of this and he seemed to be rallying within 2 days, sitting up in the chair in his room and wanting to go home. Then came the fever and infection. They blamed it on liver failure but he began to swell and retain fluid and his heart rate went up to around 140 bpm and stayed there. Everything went downhill from there and as I was frantic and very upset at his condition, they kept telling me that the underlying issue was liver failure and they couldn’t fix that. They said he had a UTI and was septic and he was getting several antibiotics. He developed fluid in his abdomen, around his lungs, and heart. He developed pneumonia. It was awful . He continued to decline and 11 days after he went to the ER he passed away. I am devastated. The worst part is that his death certificate lists the cause of death as Sepsis. Sepsis. It is painful to think about him when he went into the hospital being talkative, but malnourished and weak. I believe that he could have recovered with better care and sanitary conditions. I also think that they pegged him as an alcoholic and that affected his level of care. The entire affair has been devastating.

    My grandad had a full blood count test 2 weeks ago, they said his infection levels were 99 and should be 6. No further action was taken immediately other than a hospital appointment for 2 weeks time. The day of his hospital appointment came, he suddenly deteriorated & went into cardiac arrest, I performed CPR whilst waiting for the paramedics to arrive & they continued for over an hour. They mentioned sepsis & we are now waiting for a post mortem to confirm the cause of death. He had the signs of sepsis, but it’s just so heartbreaking to know that if it was it somehow may have been prevented had they picked it up sooner. Why did he have an infection level so high, he also had a huge scud on his head that was visibly infected & was just left for 2 weeks until then it was only to late.

    My grandma died from sepsis she was throwing up and shivering when i was calling for an ambulance. The blood infection most likely came from dialysis where there seemed to had a very bad infection in her left arm. She was in ICU for two weeks and left it after being clear of sepsis. Only after a week in she suddenly died she couldn’t make the full recovery. It was a weird feeling she looked fine the day before i called the ER she was laughing and smiling.

    We just lost our Aunt, just 73 to septic shock on Aug.28th, 2019 and I feel angry and upset. She’d been feeling bad for 3 weeks. Even went to her Dr. who gave her a shot of cortisone in her thumb for arthritis ! Finally going to an er on Monday night, they flew her to Cleveland Clinic. She was septic. She died Wednesday night. Now I read they could have at least tried ecmo on her. But you know, she’s 73 so to them that’s old and they just let her die. We are so sad! Be careful! Sepsis you can’t mess around with. Like another person said in comments, have an advocate for yourself! Hospitals are horrible these days!

    My sister is fighting for her life right now, this is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to go through. It’s like a bad roller coaster ride. It’s been 3 days and she is still fighting. I feel the pain from each and everyone who lost a love one, god bless you all.

    My Mom died from cardiac arrest which was caused by septic shock Jan.19,2019. I feel guilty because I was her advocate and didn’t push the issues and demand tests be done. The doctors never listen to the families when we tell them this isn’t normal or she’s doing this. She was 82 and I believe because of her other underlying conditions they didn’t care or do all that was possible quick enough. So families, demand tests and make the doctor show you lab results. You are nothing to them but EVERYTHING to your family! Love you Mom I’m sorry.

    My dad passed away a year ago of sepsis on june 24th 2018 he was 56. He went into the hospital on the 23rd and he was walking and talking. And on the 24th he was gone. None of us got to say anything to him. He left so soon!! My mom had no idea what sepsis was before this happened. If we would have seen the signs, i wonder if he would still be here today!!🙏🙏🙏

    My husband went in to the hospital after I got out of work. I took him into the hospital on July 27. I was there with him day in and out slept overnight with him. He went home on August 3. Om August 4, he had his dialysis then went to the dentist to get a tooth pulled that was bothering him. On Monday August 4th, I went to work Tuesday but on Wednesday I had to call off work. He stayed downstairs in the living room slept there. I couldn’t go to work because I knew something was really wrong. His sister was to be with me, as well as his niece came with me. Then his breathing got really heavy.
    We decided to call 911 and get an ambulance. They placed him in a wheelchair and then into the ambulance. His sister and niece went with him in the ambulance as I stayed and got some clothes together for him. I got my car and started driving to the hospital. As I drove, they called me told me to get to the hospital quickly, because I had to say good bye to him. He died that night.

    I just lost my uncle to sepsis according to the coroners report – still waiting on more specific details from the autopsy; however, I still can’t process or believe it. Friends report he was healthy days before. He was found in bed with a 12″ round pool of blood that leaked through comforters into mattress and there was significant blood in vomit on and around the bed.

    Can anyone explain the blood?! I hate to think and ask, but it seems like he was in a great deal of pain. Did he go into shock and therefore numb to what was happening to him? He was home – no ambulance or call to friends or myself.

    I have so many questions…

    My son passed away in October 2018 at the age of 28 from septic shock and heart failure. He started out asking me about a week before he ended up in the hospital if I saw anything on his neck. I thought I saw a pimple. It developed into two large boils, and four days later, we were in the emergency room, as he was very ill, fevered, and was ranting incoherently. He was transferred to Ruby Memorial Hospital at West Virginia University, where he was diagnosed with sepsis. He was put into induced paralysis because he needed a breathing tube. Through the course of 10 days, his lungs collapsed, he had several breathing tubes, he was being kept alive through having his blood pressure artificially supplemented, had a huge cocktail of antibiotics being pumped in, and much more. It was a horrifying ordeal, and he was dead 10 days after entering the hospital and about 16 days after asking me if I saw anything on his neck. So yes, sepsis happens, and it happens quickly to anyone of any age. It’s a horrible disease, kills far more people than anyone can imagine and once someone gets it, the prognosis is very, very bad. I wish someone could find a cure.

    My hearts and prayers go out to each and everyone of you that have had a family member die from sepsis. It is definitely a terrible infection that the doctors need to find a way to diagnose and cure quickly before it becomes life threatening. My Mom is going through the battle of her life as I am typing this. Please continue to pray.

    My husband passed on June 7,2019 from what I believe to be septic shock. He had all the above symptoms and in and out of hospital over course of few weeks. All his organs gave out and he passed in a few hours with family at bedside. I am a nurse and it was the hardest situation I’ve ever endured…

    My father died 2 months ago due to septic shock. A week before he died, he had UTI but chose to just drink water to cure it, was feeling lethargic and both feet started to swell, but he ignored it as just another symptom of walking too much. A week later, the pain on one feet got severe and i rushed him to the ER, they gave him antibiotics and sent him home. The same day he arrived home, his feet has become black and pus was coming off it, he had breathing difficulties, and i rushed him to the ER again. After several hours of checking him, the doctor came to inform my family that they could not do anything more and that he was deteriorating. Within 3 more hours, he died. All the signs and symptoms were apparent but it was brushed aside as simply non life threatening issues. Hope this bad experience of mine will shed some light to readers here. He was 80 when he passed on.

    My mother died in a rehabilitation nursing home after complaining for days that she had the worst headache of her life and vomiting and clammy skin. We told her nurses for days we wanted a doctor to come by and see her and were told he would but the nurses didn’t put in her medical file any of her symptoms. The last night of her life she didn’t sound right and was more agitated then ever and vomiting even though she hadn’t eaten much none from the facility saw this as strange and nothing was done. 3 hours after leaving the rehab we got a phone call saying she was found unresponsive and was being rushed to the hospital. She was brain dead from an enerusym and on life support and was not expected to live at all. One doctor told us she was the sickest person in this county. Months before this she had to have both legs amputated after becoming really sick. It was found that she was diabetic type 2 and that her glucose level was 1900 the doctors were amazed that she made it. Her regular doctor had done blood tests 8 weeks before for diabetes after my mom asked for it because she thought she might have been becoming diabetic. The results came back negative. It was an in home test instead of being sent to a lab so we want to sue her doctor on the grounds of misdiagnosis and all that she went through. She beat all of that just to die on the day she was supposed to have all her sutures removed. The nursing staff gave attitude about alot of things in the 2 weeks she was there. They ignored her sickness the last few days she was alive and didn’t provide a doctor to see her. She wasn’t monitored during any of her physical therapy workouts even though she had heart arrhythmias and was on two diffrent heart medications that thinned her blood more then it should have. The nurse even tried to say that she was found unresponsive because we had fed her something that messed with her blood sugar level which was a complete lie. One of the hospital doctors told us to file a HIPAA violation against the nurse who came with her to the hospital who hours before had laughed at me when I became upset talking to him about why no doctor had seen her to see what was wrong with her the last few days. The meeting with the nursing director told us since she died from an aneurysm it didn’t really matter that she hadn’t seen a doctor because they wouldn’t have caught it. She didn’t care when I brought up all the times the nurses didn’t listen to what we were all saying to them about our concerns. All the attitude we got from nurses when we insisted something be done for her. She was stable before going to the rehab and in less then 2 weeks she was dead. The nursing director still has not gotten back to us about why the nurses didn’t even write in there notes that she was sick and requested a doctor and it’s been 4 months since she died. There attitude was basically she was dead and that since it was an aneurysm nothing was wrong with there neglect. They saw nothing wrong with them failing to make her last days a little better and trying to help figure out what was going on

    my condolences…. No one deserves to go out like that… i teared up at your description of how it affected your mom…. may she rest in peace…

    i recently survived an extremely severe case of sepsis myself. I only survived because of a miracle. my doctors even said that. my chances of survival were next to nothing, apparently.

    this disease DEFINITELY doesn’t discriminate… i am 25, almost 26, and i got it after a bout of type a flu and necrotizing pneumonia. i literally was near death within 24 hours of first flu symptoms…. the day after Christmas… it caused compartment syndrome, and severe sepsis. my kidneys, and lungs failed, and my heart was in process of congestive heart failure. I swelled like someone who had been stung millions of times by bees, or like a balloon. they had to put me in a medically induced coma…. put on ecmo, and ran on dialysis/ecmo 24/7 for 15 days… I finally woke up and was stabilized from what I later found out was Streptococcus Pyogenes infection.

    My battle had only begun, however. i had to be placed on dialysis, until my kidneys came back a month and a half later. my heart and lungs recovered, but lasting damage was done…. I lost my Left leg below the knee, lost my toes on my right foot, and have lasting nerve damage to my foot… my hand is messed up from an iv infiltration. I ended up with a pseudoaneurysm on my femoral artery, which I still have to get fixed, as well. my poor parents, and my family and closest friends have been devastated by this dreadful disease. it killed one of my uncles before me, and nearly killed me… According to my doctors, had i been a weaker man, i would not have made it. One doctor told me that if I had came in just 6 hours later, i would not be here. All of them said i would never make it but one Doctor who was a lung specialist, told my parents I had a shot….

    I credit numerous things with my survival, most notably my physical health before sepsis, martial arts training aided, and is still aiding my recovery, 2 months out of the hospital, My personal faith in God, having a positive mindset, doctors and nurses, and most of all, my loving parents, and family and friends, especially my mom and dad, and my aunts and uncles…. I wouldn’t be here without them, and i would be in dire circumstances without them.

    Sepsis may have taken my leg and toes, and nearly my life; It may have rocked the very foundations of my family, and my life to the core; but it didn’t take my will to live and my ability to stay positive and have a sense of humor.

    It helped me decide on my new career path as well. i want to become a Nurse practitioner now, to help the sick recover from illnesses such as these….

    I have decided to devote my life to helping the sick recover from their sicknesses and afflictions, due to my own battles with illness, that maimed me to the point of amputations. If I can help anyone who is suffering by being a nurse, i feel it’s worth it.

    To anyone who read my story, thank you. i really wanted to get this off my chest.

    I had a robotic assisted hysterectomy in July of 2017. I woke up from the surgery feeling horrible, but chalked it up to the fact I had just had surgery. (Sepsis and Surgery) One night after being discharged, I woke up in my bed “not feeling right.” There was a strange unspecified type of pain in my abdomen, and a fogginess in how I was thinking.

    I called 911, and fought with the EMTs who said “you seem fine.” I actually took it upon myself to lay down on the gurney and ordered them to take me to the nearest ER.

    As it turned out, I had a perforated small bowel, peritonitis, and severe sepsis. (Sepsis and Perforated Bowel) The doctor said if I had taken another pain killer and gone back to sleep I might not have woken up.

    Recovery from sepsis is extremely difficult, painful, and trying both physically and mentally. The insomnia is awful, joint and muscle pain horrendous, and it is truly like you are clawing yourself out of a grave you are not yet ready for. (Sepsis and Post-Sepsis Syndrome)

    My advice – never dismiss what your instincts are telling you. Demand care and do not accept anything outside of a diagnosis based on your lab results and vitals.

    You deserve to live your full life.


    My Husband went into the Hospital with breathing problems and 7 days later. He was gone. They said I saved his life. I’m devastated.

    H I was told by an attorney that the first thing to do is call your states department of public health and explain to them what happened to your family member. They will conduct a very thorough investigation. Depending on the results of that investigation you may or may not be able to find a lawyer to help you but in any case the doctors involved will all be investigated in this could affect their license. The next thing to do is call your states Medical Board and report each doctor involved. My husband has been fighting cancer and doing very well. Even though it was in his bones and we knew it was terminal he was still living a good quality of life and was definitely not ready to stop fighting. We resisted doing chemotherapy for many years. He had prostate cancer and never wanted to do it. We went a more natural pathic way along with hormone medications after his radiation failed. His first chemo treatment in January 2019 resulted in him being admitted to the emergency room three days later with double pneumonia and sepsis. He was very sick but using a variety of anabiotic’ he was sent home cured. That should’ve given us a clue that his immune system was not strong enough for the chemo but he went ahead and had a second treatment. Two weeks went by and he was doing very well. We took a trip to a larger hospital to consult with infectious diseases Department and he drove for four hours. We stayed for three days sightseeing and enjoying Mexican food every night. On our last day as we were to go home he told me he didn’t feel very well. Not sure what happened but the urologist had had him flush his bladder out with Celine solution and I am wondering if this stirred up bacteria that might’ve been in there dormant. I drove home and he continued to feel worse. The next day I took him down to see the doctor and they sent him to the ER. He was diagnosed with sepsis. They added several other things to his diagnosis such as respiratory failure. I have no idea why because he was breathing fine. This time I noticed everything was different. They hooked him up to just a standard antibiotic instead of multiple strong ones. I could just feel that something was different in the air. Finally on his Fifth day there they removed his antibiotics and told us they were going to send him home with pills. He suffers from recurring UTIs and we have already been told that he will always need IV anabiotic’s for the rest of his life. Nothing by mouth will help him. I was shocked and argued with the doctor. I told him we would come in as outpatient treatment and asked if a nurse could come to our home and give him the IV antibiotics. The doctor was very rude and actually yelled at me he said absolutely not. This will work fine. I told him that my husband would be back in the hospital soon since these pills were not going to work. The day before the hospice department and some arrogant slob of a doctor talk to me for an hour. I was asked, don’t you know went to let him go. This doctor told me that he had a terrible quality of life I find this so interesting since we had never met this man before in our life. The nurse was there and told them that he hadn’t been eating his food. I picked up the lid on his plate and he just got finished eating his entire lunch. Plus he was having me bring him food from other places. He wasn’t eating a ton because he was sick but he was definitely eating talking watching TV I didn’t realize it at the time but looking back now I know that they were making that decision right then and there to let my husband die. We came home and he took his pills and he ended up back in the hospital five days later, this time much worse off. We went to a different hospital but they sent for the report from the first hospital and I noticed the same thing there. They hooked him up to the standard anabiotic and didn’t seem to be doing much of anything for him. I finally asked the doctor why he didn’t have other anabiotic’s and the doctor said OK I’ll go ahead and try one more. Within one day his body was responding and doing better. During this time I also noticed that the nurses were not bringing Him any water or food. He was receiving no nourishment at all. He had purely Celine and no nutrition in his IV bag. It was different from the other patients. My husband was begging for water so I gave him some and he drank two full cups. I went out to the nurses station and ask them why he was not receiving nourishment. They said oh we’re afraid he might choke. I told them they were being inhumane. I asked him why he could not be on a liquid diet. You cannot choke on Jell-O since it melts. He had Asked for cranberry juice and they told me oh we wouldn’t know if it was blood or not if he throws it up. Just a bunch of stupid excuses. But when I told them they were inhumane the next morning he had a tray of liquid diet food. Including cranberry juice. He almost ate the whole bowl of Jell-O. And drink his juices. That afternoon the doctor came in and told me that his kidneys were in complete failure and that there was no hope and he was going to die. He is shirred me there was absolutely no way to reverse this and my has been was going to die. Only for that reason I agreed to have him unhooked from the anabiotic’s that were helping him. I waited that whole night for him to die but he didn’t. Something just didn’t seem right to me. I googled kidney failure and started reading about it and told myself that he does not have this. He’s not in kidney failure. I got a hold of our natural pathic doctor and he told me to get his numbers for him right away. I sent him my husband’s numbers and he told me that my husband’s kidneys were fully functioning. He said he’s having a hard time breathing because fluid is building up in his stomach and he needs something called a tap where they drain that out and then he will be able to breathe much better. I insisted they hook him back up to the anabiotic’s and I wanted to tap done immediately. This is a country hospital in the middle of nowhere and they said they couldn’t get a doctor for three days. I told him my husband will not live that long. He needs it now. I insisted that they fly him by helicopter to the nearest big hospital. By the way that hospital flies people there all the time it is common for people that have serious illnesses. He argued with me and told me no. He told me my husband was too critical to be flown there. I told him that is what helicopters are for is critical patients. He finally agreed to call a doctor at that hospital and see if they would admit him. He must’ve thought I just fell off The turnip truck because obviously if he tells them he is sending a patient to them they are going to admit him. I told him if they don’t fly him I will put him in my car and drive him the 4 Hour Dr. myself. I didn’t want to put my husband through that because he was so sick at the time but I was trying to get them to take some action to save his life. Instead of calling the infectious disease doctor about his sepsis which is why we were at the hospital, he called and oncologist. After that he went home without ever coming back to talk to me. When I would ask the nurses what was going on they would say that they left a voicemail but nobody had returned the call. Such a flat out lie. Like I said the doctors had decided to let my husband die. I had asked my husband during those four days I’ve been home taking his pills the same question that slob Dr asked of me. Baby if your heart where to stop right now do you want to be recessatated? His answer was he’ll yes. That night at the hospital after refusing to fly him to the better hospital my husband passed away at 9:30 PM I don’t know who these doctors think they are but they have no right to decide that it is someone’s time to die. They withheld treatment from my husband and it was definitely on purpose. I have had two other people tell me that this happened to their family members also. I believe it is a common practice in the medical field. When the doctors decide for whatever reason that they feel it is this person’s time to die they withhold treatment. I wish I could be in that Dr shoes and make that decision for him that he doesn’t have a good enough quality of life to keep living. As for As I’m concerned they murdered my husband.

    I lost my dad to septic shock from a urinary tract infection 20th December 2018..He wasnt a well man..he was 81 and had parkinsons disease since the age of 50..he had a low immune system….it was so painful to see him lose his independence over the years and end up in a wheelchair to be looked after 24/7 by my mum…it even got to the point he couldn’t talk…the day before his death..he was his normal self..nothing indicating he had a infection…that night I had a call from my mum saying a ambulance was on it’s way dad wasnt well ..I just thought not another hospital admission ..he had a few that year…I arrived at my mums and the paramedics were 45 mins with dad upstairs… .they said he wasnt a well man..they had given him some fluids and he was coming downstairs on a stretcher I reached out to him..saying “hi dad” .he was just staring and saying nothing.. .it was a concern…They blue lighted him with a doctor waiting at a&e…me and mum waited patiently in waiting room …when we saw him in resus ..he had a high temperature and shaking with the heart monitor making all noises .it was 11pm by this time ….we was told he has a urine infection..and they was treating it…so thought he would be ok …I stood beside him holding his hand and he whispered can I have water he wasnt allowed..His blood pressure kept dropping..
    me and mum stayed with him majority of the night . Keeping my brother up to date as he was a 40 mins drive away .we were told that he was going to a ward we decided to go home for a few hours sleep…As we returned home…My mum received a phone call saying his blood results have come back and he has sepsis..So back we went you could see the deterioration in him…I called my brother to come ..what made it worse I worked at that hospital. .I new some of the signs of a deteriorating patient..I kept it all to myself .with my mum and brother thinking after the antibiotics it would help him .. .if only they knew what I knew the hours passed he was passing away in front of us ..still not believing it was happening…..we were helpless…nothing we could do. But one thing he did no we were there through it all by 7.55 he took his last breathe..something myself I could not watch …..we just stared at him.. thinking this was all a dream….its 4 months on and still find it hard to believe hes been taken from us . ..we are close as a family and were there for mum at all she has all this time on her hands now….which is hard for her ..we will get there

    I developed black blood blisters after surgery. I asked dozens of times what it meant and what it was…and never got a straight answer. I fought it for 3 weeks with every possible side effect. My wound was rampant with an antibiotic resistance flesh destroying bacteria. It ate away at the wound and spread up and down my abodomin. I was near death when I was put in the ICU and it took the infectious disease Doctors 5 days to isolate the bacteria and develop an antibiotic cocktail for me. I survived. But a decade later I find myself still angry. It was easily preventable. I tried suing the Surgeon, but he had a great reputation and was on the Medical board in my state for Malpractice cases. He was a known advocate in courts nationwide to advocate for Doctors being sued. A professional testified. So Law firm after Law firm dropped me after hitting walls with him. I believe he paid at least one firm off.
    I had a stroke during the worst of the Septicemia. It was during the 104 plus fever days, after acute renal failure which led to Multi system organ failure. My adult children slept in my room in the ICU when they were told I had about a 12% chance of living through the night.
    The trauma never goes away for me. Even after the fever broke, there was weeks of being debreded by surgeons (removing the dead flesh everyday like they do to burn victims), dealing with no kidney function, becoming a diabetic during recovery *due to pancreas shutting down also. Imagine waking up to 5 insulin shot a day….and for the rest of my life. Home nursing care, to drain and bandage wounds, therapy to learn to function again and do simple tasks others take for granted. 8 months of physical therapy for my body and then adjusting to the fact that my brain would never be the same.
    I understand the title of the article all too well.
    I think I will die angry too. I was robbed of quality of life and the burden on my adult children was overwhelming.
    It was preventable.
    It was a tragedy.

    Six weeks ago my mom, who lived in skilled nursing at the time, developed a bad cough and chest condition one afternoon in mid January, 2019. The next day she was very sick and somewhat unresponsive. The nurses gave her cough syrup and some other flu medicines. She had a temperature and rapid heartbeat the next day so they sent her in an ambulance to the er. She was is the er for over 8 hours and I am not sure when she got medical attention. Later that evening she was admitted to the respiratory icu. The next day they told me she had aspiration pneumonia and sepsis. Two days later they moved her from icu to a regular room and she continued fluids, insulin, and antibiotics by iv. I had to decide to create a DNA for her. Two days later they said she should go under hospice care. She really never woke up except for a few brief times in the last 2 days at the hospital Nd then once while in hospice. It seemed like once she went to hospice their was already a decision made that she was going to die. She got worse for a week and her body began to shit down after being in hospice a week. 3 days later she died. I am wondering why I didn’t get more information from the doctors and nurses in the hospital. It was like no one wanted to be direct with me. I am also wondering if the first 2 days that she was sick if she had gone to the er sooner could the sepsis have been caught soon enough to keep her from dying.

    When an infant passes of sepsis or meningitis in their sleep can it cause their nose to bleed after passing? PLEASE PLEASE HELP! I NEED ANSWERS ???

    My mother went into the hospital, had stent placed, and went to rehab to gain strength back in her legs, so she could use her walker once she got home. She had a WBC count of 10, on Saturday 1/12/19. By Thursday, looking maybe a little pale, and nothing more than tired and complaining about a bed sore on her buttocks, I asked the nurses at the rehab in Lynbrook, NY to do a UTI check and check for dehydration. However, we had to rush her to the hospital in Oceanside, because she her eyes rolled back in her head and she was not herself. Her blood pressure was 80/40 and she looked terrible. Got her to ER and they told me she was in septic shock and was very very ill. Not sure what or how this happened…due to stent placement? did she pick it up in the rehab? She was dead after central lines were placed, and A lines searched for, and BIPAP masks, and you name it. Triple organ failure and dead by 1/23/19. Her WBC count was 28K and could not be reduced despite pressers and antibiotics….so very sad and I am so angry and upset….

    My mom passed away 2 weeks ago from ischemia bowel with sepsis. I stopped by her place on my way to work one morning to drop off some groceries items she had asked for the night before. I used my key to open her door. She was lying on the bed but she had already been up and was dressed. She had a broken ankle and was having to wear a boot night and day so I made her coffee before I left. I talked to her off and on throughout the day by phone. She told me that she had vomited the night before but she was feeling better and asked if I would stop by on my way home from work. About an hour before I was supposed to leave work, I got a phone call saying that my mom had called 911. The paramedics said all her vitals looked fine but she said her stomach hurt a little and she wanted to go to the hospital because something to feel right. The ER was only a five minute drive from her home. She was in the ER for almost 5 hours before they shipped her to the main hospital because they discovered she had a bowel blockage and said she would probably need surgery the next day. After arriving at the next hospital the new doctor looked at her and then checked on the scans preformed at the other hospital. He tells us that she needs emergency surgery because he can see gas (that I don’t learn until later is actually gangrene) around her intestines. It was still over 2 hours before they actually got her into surgery and it took another 2 hours to do the surgery. Afterwards the doctor said he had to remove 8 inches of her large intestine because of the dead tissue. He said she did fine during surgery and was in recovery and that he had done another scan after the surgery and it showed no gas. So he was positive they removed all the dead tissue. They said she woke after surgery and let them know she was in pain and she was cold, but I never got to see her awake again. First day after surgery all she did was sleep which they said was normal. On second evening after surgery she begins to run a low grade fever and isn’t putting out much urine and her blood pressure is staying low in spite of the medication to elevate it. On the third day my family is told that she is septic and there isn’t anything else they can do. She had been diagnosed with non-alcoholic cirrhosis few years earlier so her liver was to far gone to help her fight off the infection. My brothers and I had to make the hardest decision of our lives about her care. We turned her care over to the hospice staff inside the hospital so they could keep her comfortable and pain free. All of her tubes were removed at 8:20 pm that night. We sat and held her hands and talked to her throughout the night. She seemed to be just in a comfortable sleep, but at 7am the next morning, my 70 year old mom passed away peacefully. We were told later that some of the symptoms of sepsis are nauseous, diarrhea and abdominal pain. My mother already had all of the symptoms most of the time because of the medication she was on for the cirrhosis. So she never had a chance at recognizing the symptoms of sepsis until it was too late. I hope no other family ever has to go through what our family has endured, but with sepsis being hard to diagnose cause it mimics symptoms of other illnesses and until the hospitals have a way of being able to recognize the symptoms faster and get treatment started immediately, I know other people are going to be going to be following in the footsteps of our family. Remember that sepsis doesn’t discriminate by age. It happens to the young as well as the old.

    My mother Anita Sood passed away with Septic Shock on 19 Jan 2019, it was a turmoil to see her through in this pain. She has recurrent Urinary Tract Infection triggered by E Coli. Since December onwards it had become very frequent and she was showing signs of vomiting foam and diarrhoe , she was in out of the hospital 2 times. Last time when she got admitted even after 3 days of antibiotics she was nt keeping well and developed high AF which didnt get reversed. We then thought of shifting her to a better medical center, she cooped till we reached there but was in so much of pain. Soon after her BP became unrecorded and heart rate became very high. The same night she was sedated and put on ventilator and after bearing 3 more cardiac arrests she passed away. My point here is Awareness, that no infection should be considered lightly. Every kith and kin to know how to question and get relevant answers. This is the time of immense emotional stress but please dont panic.

    Kevin had back surgery in August 2017 – two weeks post surgery his VA doctor said he was doing well… 7 days later he didnt feel well but with pain meds for the back and surgery he said – some rest and ill be fine.. ive felt worse before… later that night after not being able to tell me the day of the week or where he lived etc i called the ambulance…. that was 9 pm friday evening.. Kevin passed away at 4 am Saturday morning- He coded 5 x…. fighting for his life- i knew he didnt know what was happening – I was told by his family that i didnt take care of him.. clean his wound.. well the sepsis occured well inside near disc 5-6 id never have known.. we didnt know.. it was too late…. i miss him everyday and pray that PEOPLE WILL LEARN .. that one its horrible to watch someone code – or vomit the infection etc….. and if nothing else.. dont wait for anything til tomorrow – its promised to none of us

    I am so sorry to you guys that have lost loved ones from this!

    My story: I tweeted a few days before hospital ( I was hospitalised from 21st of December 2018) that I felt I was going to die (I didn’t remember tweeting)! I had 5 out of the 6 of these symptoms!
    The doctor didn’t check me over and sent me home with antibiotics for a UTI! 2 days later I was dying in my bed at home, I physically could move any body parts as I was in so much pain. I had vomitted for 48hours, I couldn’t breath or talk, I could stand it walk, luckily my sister was home to Call an ambulance. The paramedics had me straight to hospital within a few moments! I was tested in ct and X-ray scans but they couldn’t see anything! They took me to surgery to have a close up look to discover I had organ failure and I was close to death by a few hours. I was put into an induced coma for a week. My family had been told To expect the worst and that the doctors didn’t think I would pull through it! Luckily I did, I’m a walking miracle 🙂

    I was discharged last week from hospital. Unfortunately due to the medication keeping me alive It has left me completely deaf. luckily i can still walk and have all my limbs! I am glad to be alive and on the road to recovery! And I’m now on the list for a cochlear implant! 🙂 since I’ve been out of hospital I have not stopped sharing and commenting sepsis awareness! I want everyone that I speak to now to know about all the symptoms and how quickly it’s affects if not treated early! Sepsis is a killer and more than people know of!

    My grandmother passed away 12/20/2018 of Septic Shock. She came in the hospital for a scheduled procedure to remove her gall bladder Amd was discharged the same day to go home. She complained of severe abdominal pain even with taking the prescribed painkillers. We called the surgeon office to explain about two hours after getting home from the procedure but they dismissed it as normal pain after the procedure. The discharge paper listed abnormal pain as a symptom to go back to the hospital. We called 911 soon after and she waited in the ER for a few hours before being admitted. The following morning I received a call from a nurse that my grandma wasn’t doing well and was vomiting. I got there about an hour after the call and spoke with the nurse. He said she would be transferred to the ICU for monitoring, about an hour or two in the ICU my grandmother was in a medical induced coma with life support for the next three days until she died

    I had late stage sepsis in 2006. The insult/infection occurred on a Sunday and by the following Friday I was incontinent of feces and urine, completely disoriented and in pain that had me writhing and screaming for 12 hours until given morphine. I was in the ICU completely sedated for 1 week, and then remained in the hospital for 4 weeks. I had endocarditis, blood clots, incredibly severe anemia, unbelievable muscle weakness, poor muscle control, chronic hiccups, and it literally took one year to return to normal. Not to mention the emotional toll of this near death experience on me. It want like ‘getting hit by a bus’, more like the bullet train. Today, due to an amazing team of doctors, I am alive, well and mostly healthy. I do have AFIB probably as result of the endocarditis.

    My son passed away dec.2/2018 he had a colostomy bag put on which the surgeon cut his upper and lower bowel which it was leaking into his stomach then the leaking caused him to have an emergency surgery again leaking again which cause severe septic shock the hospital and everyone knew that he had septic shock but they didn’t tell us as a family when we were there they just sent him on hospice told me six months and two days later he died please help make contact with me a mother needed justice !!!

    My sister went in for major surgery on her pancreas. She got through the 12 hour op, doc told us she was doing grand but she suffered a bleed & cought sepsis which unfortunately took her life very very suddenly. I feel the hospital is to blame. She was advised by her own doc this op would give her a better lifestyle. Now I have 4 nephews with no mother & the youngest being 9 years of age. Why …. surely someone has to answer to this

    My husband passed away from sepsis,decubitus ulcers, guillain barre syndrome, why no one can be held accountable

    my lovely sweet husband mike died of sepsis shock on july 24th 0f 2018…he was in mobile infirmary in mobile al…in ltac which isa skilled nursing facility within mobile infirmary….his 5th day in this section he complained of an earache …dr sutton said he would order some meds…w/o checking him…hours went by with no meds…i kept asking his nurse who came up with excuses…she told me the doc forgot and the np jones had to order them…i ket telling this nurse and the nurses station that something else besides the earache was going on with mike…he couldn’t breathe…he was hurting and had chills…no one would do anything…they woulnt call rapid response so i called…rr came mike wasnt breathing…he coded…they brought him back…took him to icu…vented him…he coded twice more and died…i made a complaint but she lied so i am investigating other ways to handle this

    I lost my mom 2 weeks ago due to septic shock and I don’t know if she would have lived
    had the doctors identified sepsis early on. She was in and out of hospital after undergoing TACE for a tumor in her liver, sporadic fever and difficulty in breathing..
    Yes, medical professionals should be trained in identifying sepsis as every second, minute and hour counts in treating this.

    Eight weeks ago, I was returning home from the gym. I had been feeling a bit under the weather for a few days, but true to my athletic nature, I just trained whenever I felt bad. Anyway, on the way home, I started feeling very ill and a bit disoriented. Once home, just when I got to the top step, before entering my condo, I collapsed, breaking my left wrist and spraining my right arm, , while taking, backwards, down the steps. The next thing I knew, I was in a hospital bed with multiple IV’s in my arms and chest (centralw line); AND it was three days later! The main thing, however, was that I was racked by the most unbelievably horrible pain, in every cubic centimeter of my body! I’m a pretty tough old former football player and thought I could withstand ANY sort of pain. Boy was I wrong. This pain brought me to my proverbial knees and had me crying like a baby. My daughter told me when they got me to the hospital, in the ambulance, that I was screaming, incoherently. It was to the point where, once in the ICU, they were feeding me Propofol to keep me sedated. On the third day, I was brought around.

    When I was brought out of my Propofol bliss, I was in agony. The doctor told me the I had contacted Sepsis, and it had gone systemic, invading my entire body. I was on IV antibiotics, Dilaudid and Methadone. With all that, in my system, I was still in agony! After a week, the doctors told me that the bacteria had attached itself to my artificial Mitral Valve, adding Endocarditis to a heart that is already very week and due to be transplanted, as a result of Dilated Cardiomyopathy. I was told that just the fact that I was still alive, was nothing short of a miracle but was, obviously, due to keeping myself in great athletic condition. That being said, I certainly DID NOT feel amazing. As I’ve said, the pain was unreal.

    Fast forward six weeks. I was transferred to a Long Term Assisted Care Hospital. By then, I had dropped a little over 30 pounds, all muscle. I had lost the ability to walk or do anything as simple as placing a Clothes Pin from one wire to another. I had a complete loss of motor control, as if I’d suffered a stroke. On top of all this, the pain was still unrelenting, to the point where they had me on IV Dilaudid, Methadone and Oxycontin ; and the pain was still severe!

    Present day… I’m now in my eighth week, since becoming ill. It’s been a very hard fight, but I actually took my first, unassisted, steps, this week and I’m now able to feed myself. Considering that you are reading the words of a Fitness Professional who has trained 100’s of individuals, as well as the owner of a very successful fitness consulting company and who, at 58, is in better shape than most 20 year olds; Sepsis has been extremely humbling. A few weeks ago, I was pumping out four sets of ten Pullups and squatting 500 pounds. Today, I am having difficulty opening a clothesline pin. Like I said, this has been extremely humbling. Still, there is the issue of the unrelenting pain. I’m VERY blessed to have pulled through this ordeal, but this pain is taking me to my wits end. I am told that I’ll be here, in LTAC ICU for about six more weeks, while they finish the course of Antibiotics. During that time, I vow to return to as close to my former condition as possible. The doctors said I will be on a walker then cane, for at least one year. I WILL prove them wrong!!!

    Meanwhile, it is now my mission, as a public personality, to educate as many as possible, to the horrors of Sepsis, and to avoid it at all costs.
    I wish this event on NO ONE!

    Best wishes to all you survivors and family members!

    My son died two weeks ago of septic shock, after being in the hospital for just 10 days. The week before, he’d asked me if I saw anything on his neck, and I said no. In a few days, a boil formed , and two days later, I took him to the Emergency Room, as he was feverish and ranting as if he was out of his mind. He was rushed from there to a major medical center, as they could not treat him in the smaller hospital, and from Oct. 2-12, ICU doctors tried everything to save his life. The last four days of his life, as septic shock set in, his lungs became full of infection and ripped open, meaning that no matter how they tried to keep him alive on a respirator, they could not and on Oct. 12, he passed away.
    He was only 28 years old, tall, handsome, intelligent and athletic.
    Please, if you see anything that looks unusual on your body, see your doctor right away. That boil on his neck turned out to be MRSA, and as the poison entered his bloodstream, it killed him.
    Sepsis and MRSA are not only a disease for older people. It attacks many children and young adults, and it kills them.
    Our life is completely turned upside down now, and it took less than two weeks for my son to go from a healthy, vibrant adult with much promise to being ashes in an urn on our bookshelf.

    My mom 82, has been in the hospital for 8 days. She’s been on pain meds and psych
    Meds for years. She was able to have conversations for the first few days but began to get real weak and was able to only wake up and slightly speak when we speak really loud and move her to alert her. Today she only opened her eyes once in hours , can’t speak and sleeps almost always. She came in with weak heart and blood clot in lung. She had mri and they say no stroke but symptoms look like she did. Please give some help if anyone has seen this with a loved one or patient.

    Im certain hospital killed my mother oct/09/2016. She had a heart attack but after having stents put in she was recovering. Than her kidneys &liver started failing though she nver had kidney or liver problems….she got sepsis and phemonia and just kept getting worse. She was in the hospital for 1 month before passing. Would love to sue the doctors and hve money donated to better care for patients but that will never happen because she was single and had no children under 25 years old. Stupid laws !!! I bet if it was their mama she would hve survived.

    My miracle mommy, Cristina Ann Treece Bailey is a walking talking medical after being diagnosed with a giant hole in her intestines the doctors patched up she got toxic shock and sepsis she came out of hospital doing alright but had a colostomy bag for months the recovery was long and dreadful for her and has a huge scare on her stomach I say she is a miracle because inspite of being sick and being told she would have serious side affects and loss of memory she has helped me so much including having to take over raising my three kids and get through the tough times in my life she is proof that it is possible to survive and carry on a normal life she stuggles day to day with certain things but nothing major she love with everything she has and no one has ever heard her story and until that day she walked out of hospital they had never seen anyone live from one of these disease let alone two and this women gives her all she is my Miracle mommy Cristina Ann Treece Bailey of stroud Oklahoma.

    My Mother died a year ago after being hospitalised 4 times in 1 year because of ‘ various infections ‘. During her last hospital stay she was treated with increasingly strong anti-biotics for the infections she kept picking up.

    Eventually she became too weak to fight infections and went into palliative care, lingering for 2 weeks before passing away.

    Not once was sepsis mentioned and the cause of death on her death certificate was stated as necrosis of the foot, this foot necrosis was never looked at as doctors treated her for the more ‘ normal ‘ infections like kidney, urinary etc.

    I am more convinced than ever that my Mother died of sepsis, which was either undetected or ignored.

    I would like to investigate this further but I’m not sure how to go about it.

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

All comments posted become a part of the public domain, and users are responsible for their comments. This is a moderated site and your comments will be reviewed before they are posted. Read more about our comment policy »